Uganda’s minister for health Dr. Jane Ruth Aceng has announced at a press conference held late-night Saturday (Sunday morning) that a male traveller returning into the country tested positive for COVID-19 also known as Coronavirus.
The Ministry of Health would like to inform the general public that Uganda has confirmed her first case of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), Dr. Aceng said in a statement she read to members of the press.
“The confirmed case is a 36-year-old Ugandan male who arrived from Dubai today, Saturday 21st March 2020 aboard Ethiopian Airlines at 2:00 am. During the screening process at the airport, his temperature was 38.7.
This prompted the health teams to isolate him at the airport for further follow up. Subsequent temperatures taken at intervals of 30 minutes and one hour remained the same. He was evacuated to Entebbe Grade B Hospital for further follow up where a nasal swab was taken for analysis.
The confirmed case presented with high fever and poor appetite. He is not coughing neither did he have flu. However, the persistent fever prompted the health workers to isolate him.
His nasal swab samples were sent to the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) for analysis. Results from UVRI showed the sample is positive for COVID-19.
The confirmed case had travelled to Dubai on 17th of Mach, 2020 (four days ago) for business purposes. At the time of his travel, he was in good health. He is a resident of Kibuli, Kagunguulu zone, Kampala,” the minister read from the statement.
She revealed that ‘to date, a total of 1,827 travelers including Ugandans and others travelling back home have been identified as coming from high risk countries for purposes of follow up. About 827 are completing self-quarantine while about 1, 000 are under quarantine.
“The Ministry of Health reassures the general public that all measures were undertaken to identify this case at the airport and isolate him in a timely manner. The passenger manifest has been retrieved and all contacts are known as we are in possession of the passports of all the travelers that came on that plane.”
Earlier in the day, President Yoweri Museveni had issued an order to shut down Entebbe International Airport and all border entries. No passenger flights are now allowed to fly to land at Entebbe airport or take off. Like the airport, only cargo carriers are allowed to enter Uganda.
World Health Organization (WHO) in Uganda said they 'will do whatever it takes to continue to protect Ugandans from the disease,'. Please practice the guidelines issued by MoH and WHO to protect you and those around you, WHO said in a message to Ugandans.
Latest from Baz Waiswa
- PICTORIAL: 5,000 Kampala Vulnerable Families Get COVID-19 Relief Aid
- Uganda’s Health Ministry Announces 8 New Coronavirus Cases
- Coronavirus: Victoria University Students Tipped On How Stay Safe
- The City Gym Introduces Ballet Dance Programme For Holiday Makers
- Ministry Of Health Suspends Measles, Rubella Vaccination Campaign