Uganda Records First COVID-19 Death, A Female Medical Worker

Uganda registers 1st COVID-19 death, a 34 year old Ugandan female, resident of Namisindwa District who presented with COVID like signs and symptoms Uganda registers 1st COVID-19 death, a 34 year old Ugandan female, resident of Namisindwa District who presented with COVID like signs and symptoms COURTESY PHOTO

The ministry of health Thursday confirmed that Uganda has registered its first COVID-19 death, a 34-year-old female health worker in Namisindwa district. Namisindwa District is bordered by Bududa District to the north, Kenya to the east and south, Tororo District to the south-west, and Manafwa District to the west.

The death was first reported on Wednesday as a suspected COVID-19 case but with sketchy details and now the health ministry has confirmed that indeed it was a coronavirus case. The ministry has said the deceased presented all the signs and symptoms of COVID-19.

The Director-General Health Services, at the health ministry, Henry Mwebesa, told a press conference Thursday evening in Kampala that the unnamed deceased presented with COVID like signs and symptoms: fever, dry cough, headache and difficulty in breathing.

She died on Tuesday, 21st July at a hospital in Mbale.

“The post-mortem samples from the deceased were confirmed positive for SARS-COV-2 by 4 laboratories: UVRI, CPHL, Tororo and Makerere. In addition, findings at post-mortem showed features of acute pneumonia; findings that are consistent with COVID-19 infection,” the ministry said.

All people who have been in contact with the deceased have been quarantined and medics are continuing to cast the net wide to capture people who have been in contact with her. The listed contacts so far include family members and healthcare workers.

“The process of contact identification and listing is still ongoing, and we believe the number of contacts may increase as the extensive epidemiological investigation evolves,”

“The contacts will be monitored daily for fourteen (14) days as per our protocol by district surveillance teams supported by Ministry of Health experts who will be deployed in the district,”

“Per our protocol, the contacts are only retired from the contact list after testing negative for COVID-19 after the mandatory 14-day follow up.

“The immediate actions that our district surveillance teams and the District Task Force are undertaking include urgent identification of the source of infection, possible transmission line and extent of community exposure.

The Namasindwa District Task Force has been reactivated to coordinate the district response. So far, thirty (30) contacts to the deceased have been listed and placed under quarantine by the health authorities in Namisindwa.

 

Last modified onThursday, 23 July 2020 18:58

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

back to top